Monday, June 6, 2011

A Hero

Our Donald



One year. It has been one year since we've lost our cousin Donald in the war in Afghanistan. It's really hard to believe. It's a funny thing, grief. It took several months not to tear up at the sight of a flag. My heart still swells with emotion every week when I say the pledge of allegiance at school. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him at some point. He is a hero.




Donald's Homecoming... a day I'll never forget


Donald has changed many of the ways I see things in life. I no longer look at a flag and see just a flag. I look at a flag and understand its meaning. Men and women have died for that flag. A person my family loves and values has died for that flag. I will never, ever take that for granted.


A flag flown by the fire department for Donald over the AB bridge



Another change is that the war is personal now. Before, I read about loss. Before I read about tragedy. Before I read about victories. Now I feel the loss. Now I feel the tragedy. Now I feel the victory. I've tried to make changes to my life in this past year to honor Donald's loss. I better understand the sacrifices that men and women face when deployed. I've sent countless care packages and even more letters abroad to send them the comforts of home. I've tried to encourage others to become involved and I've tried to teach my students the value of giving back to those who give all. I know it's not much, but my hope is that it makes a difference to someone.

Donald (far right) and his fellow Marines in Afghanistan




I encourage you to do the same. Send a package overseas. Write a letter to someone you don't know and thank them. Don't expect anything back. They are giving you more than you could ever possibly return. Just give them something. It's very easy. You can join an organization, like Soldier's Angels. You can donate to the USO or Fisher House. Or, like my choice, you can become "friends" with someone abroad at AnySoldier.




Donald has inspired many to care. All the charity that may result from his death will never amount to the wish our family has to have him back. We are proud of him. I'm proud to call him family. I'm proud to call him my hero.






No comments:

Post a Comment